Area residents who meet specific guidelines can get help in filing their 2016 income taxes beginning January thanks to a local non-profit organization.

WestArk RSVP,  Located at 401 North 13th in Fort Smith, will be open Monday and Tuesday 9AM to 6 PM, Wednesday and Friday 9 AM to 4 PM and on Saturdays from 9 AM until 1 PM making their annual tax preparation services available to the public.

No appointments are necessary.

Volunteers serve by preparing and electronically filing federal and state (Arkansas and Oklahoma) tax returns for the elderly, disabled, unemployed, active duty military and families with incomes under $54,000.

WestArk RSVP has a core group of volunteers who have been involved with tax preparation for many years.  Each year additional tax volunteers are recruited enabling WestArk RSVP to assist more taxpayers.  All volunteers receive annual training and are tested and certified by the IRS.  Volunteer tax preparers include retired accountants, teachers, engineers, business people and retired members of the military.

Partnering with the Internal Revenue Service, WestArk RSVP operates TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) and VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) programs in Fort Smith and Rogers, Arkansas from January through September. Updated days and hours of operation may be found in Facebook on the RSVP Community Outreach page.

If you want to prepare your own income tax return and your income is less than $62,000 you can use to complete your federal and state income tax returns for free. If you run into a problem while using call 1-855-698-9435 for assistance.

If you want WestArk RSVP volunteers to do your taxes you will need to furnish the following at the tax preperatio site:

-Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and any dependents OR an I-TIN letter.

-Proof of identification for yourself and your spouse if filing jointly (driver’s license or military ID).

-W-2 and/or 1099’s from each employer.

-For direct deposit of refund bring a check or account # and routing #.

-SSA-1099 form if received Social Security benefits.

-Unemployment compensation W-2G form (if any).

-All 1099 forms and information for other income (if any).

-A copy of last year’s tax return (if available).

-If itemizing—information (receipts, logs, cancelled checks) for all deductions/credits.

-Dependent care /Day care provider information; either Social Security # or EIN # (if any).

-Forms 1095-A, B or C (Affordable Health Care Statement) (if any).

-College students will need Form 1098T and copy of student account.

If you have further questions or need more information call .



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here